After his studies in Bioinformatics (BSc) at the University of Tübingen and Business Informatics (MSc) at the University of Braunschweig, he pursued his dissertation (Link) as part of a scientific collaboration between Prof. Arne Schäfer of the Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Sciences at the Charité – University of Berlin and Prof. Jeanette Erdmann to identify novel risk loci for aggressive and chronic periodontitis. In 2019, he received his doctoral degree (Dr. rer. nat.) from the Free University of Berlin. Subsequently, he worked as Postdoc at the group for Medical Systems Biology, University of Lübeck, led by Prof. Hauke Busch.
During his time in academic research he worked on the detection of correlations to illuminate (epi)genetic causalities and pathomechanisms of common and rare diseases by analyzing various kinds of high-throughput (aka OMICs) data. In doing so, he complemented available in-silico methods by own algorithms and data integration approaches (Genehopper, Qtlizer [R/Bioconductor], MouseFM [R/Bioconductor], Polygenic Risk ZEIT article).
In summer 2020, Matthias Munz left acadamia to pursue a position as bioinformatics scientist in biomarker research at Roche in Penzberg.
- I am working as Bioinformatics Scientist Biomarker Research at Roche Diagnostics GmbH, business area Centralised and Point of Care Solutions (CPS), in Penzberg, Germany
- I did Postdoc in Bioinformatics at the University of Lübeck (Medical Systems Biology Group), Germany
- During my PhD, I worked as Research Assistant at the Charité - University Medicine Berlin (Genetics of Oral Inflammatory Diseases Group), Germany and at the University of Lübeck (Institute for Cardiogenetics)
- I worked as Cancer Bioinformatician at the Berlin Institute of Health, Germany
- I earned my PhD (Dr. rer. nat.) in Bioinformatics at the Free University Berlin, Germany, supervised by Arne Schfer
- I received my Master’s degree (M.Sc.) in Business Informatics at the Technical University of Braunschweig, Germany
- I received my Bachelor’s degree (B.Sc.) in Bioinformatics at the University of Tübingen, Germany